Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK) reported strong Q4 earnings as its COVID-19 antiviral pill molnupiravir displayed strong sales in Asia. Merck Chief Executive Rob Davis informed the pandemic wave that moved through Asia in the fourth quarter increased sales of molnupiravir particularly in South Korea, Japan, and other areas of the Asia Pacific region.
- The U.S. drugmaker informed its sales in the quarter were $13.83 billion, up from $13.52 billion a year earlier. Analysts had expected sales of $13.67 billion.
- Merck earned $1.62 a share, exceeding Wall Street expectations of $1.54 a share.
- Sales of molnupiravir were $825 million in the quarter, exceeding estimates of around $358 million. It forecast $1 billion in molnupiravir sales in 2023, mostly coming from Asian markets including China. Analysts previously forecast around $825 million for 2023 molnupiravir sales.
- Merck’s blockbuster cancer immunotherapy Keytruda continues to grow, with fourth-quarter sales of $5.45 billion, up 19% from a year ago and roughly in line with analyst estimates.
- The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine Gardasil had sales of $1.47 billion, slightly underperforming analyst expectations.
- Merck forecasts adjusted 2023 earnings of $6.80 to $6.95 a share on sales of $57.2 billion to $58.7 billion, however, analysts, on average, are estimating earnings of $7.36 on sales of $58.1 billion.
Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK) is a global healthcare solutions provider that has been working towards bringing forward medicine and vaccines for some of the world’s most challenging diseases for more than a century. They are committed to increasing healthcare access and continue to be at the leading edge of research. Merck has the industry’s largest immuno-oncology clinical research program. To learn more about Merck (MRK) and to track its ongoing progress please visit the Vista Partners Merck Coverage Page.
If you liked this story please consider, visiting the Atossa Therapeutics (ATOS) dedicated page at Vista Partners to learn about the Seattle-based clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing innovative medicines in areas of significant unmet medical need in oncology with a current focus on breast cancer and lung injury caused by cancer treatments.
Stay Informed! Stay Competitive! Please join us at Vista Partners to receive our FREE email updates throughout the week and view our exclusive content and research. Vista Partners LLC (”Vista”) is a California Registered Investment Advisor based in San Francisco. Vista delivers timely and relevant insights via the website: www.vistapglobal.com with daily stories, weekly market updates, monthly macroeconomic newsletters, podcasts, & Vista’s proprietary equity and market research to help you stay informed and stay competitive. Vista’s mission is to invest partner capital while arming investors with a comprehensive global financial perspective across all market sectors. Vista also seeks to provide select issuers with actionable advice regarding fundamental development, corporate governance, and capital market directives.
DID YOU KNOW?
Fertility rates have hit a record low in the United States. The latest US government fertility statistics come from 2019, and they estimate there were 58.2 births year per 1,000 women of childbearing age (defined by the CDC as women between ages 15 and 44).
If you have ever struggled with infertility issues, or know someone who has, you are probably well aware of how demoralizing it can be. Imagine for a moment spending thousands of dollars and months of intensive medical procedure only to end up empty handed, exhausted, sad, and defeated because after all of that time, work, and money, you still don’t have a baby. That’s an incredibly difficult situation, and it’s becoming more common each passing year. Likewise, the need for more effective, less invasive infertility treatment options is increasing with each passing year. This is the sole focus of medtech company INVO Bioscience (NASDAQ: INVO). Learn more by reading the following story that we published recently.